How To Do Barbell Curls
Bicep exercises are a big part of your upper body workout, of course. In fact, they’re one of the most diverse aspects of upper body exercise, by way of variety of routines possible. However, like most muscle groups, your biceps, shoulders, chest and elbows have many different attributes, some of which can be harder to target for a balanced workout.
Balance is key to any fitness routine, whether you just want to stay in shape and toned, or if you’re going the whole way with body building. That said, there are some lesser-known routines you can adopt, to solve problems like this.
In the case of elbows, inner and outer bicep, shoulder and, yes, your chest, barbell curls are an excellent addition to your regime.
What Do I Need?
All you need is a balanced, wide barbell. If you have knee or back problems, knee and back braces are advised, and a mat is a good idea to make the added weight gentler on your feet and calves. None of this is required, of course, but you should treat your body well.
- Stand upright, with your feet about shoulder width apart. Grip the barbell, palms up, a little more than shoulder width apart, holding it just below your hips.
- Lift the barbell to shoulder height, bending at the elbows, and bending your wrists to turn your palms inward toward your chest.
- Hold this position and squeeze your grip for about one second.
- Lower the barbell back down, returning your palms to an outward/upward position.
If done properly, this exercise will tone most of your arm, strengthen your wrists, elbows, biceps, forearms, shoulders and chest.
However, do bear some cautions in mind.
- Avoid excess weight.
- Use slow, deliberate motions, not thrust or momentum.
- Don’t let gravity lower the weight.
- Use braces if you have knee, ankle or back trouble. Otherwise, don’t attempt this variation.
- Be sure you have a solid, dry grip on the barbell. You don’t want to drop it.
To learn more multi-targeting, simple exercises like this, fill out our contact form or call us today. We’re here to help you achieve the build and health you deserve!