The Yamaha YZF-R6 was in production for the third generation from 2006 to 2016. During this time, the bike underwent several updates and changes to improve performance and design. Here are some of the key specifications for the Yamaha YZF-R6 during this generation:
Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Engine and Transmission
Displacement: 599.4 cc (36.58 cu in), titanium valves
Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power: 125.3 HP (93.4 kW)) @ 14,500 RPM
Torque: 59.4 N·m (43.8 lb·ft) @ 11,500 rpm
Fuel control: Fuel injection w/ YCC-T
Bore x stroke: 67.0 mm × 42.5 mm (2.64 in × 1.67 in)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Cooling system: Liquid
Chassis, Suspension, Brakes and Wheels
2006-2016 Yamaha R6
Front Suspension: 43 mm telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 120 mm (4.7 in) travel
Rear Suspension: Single shock w/piggyback reservoir and adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7″ travel
Front tire: 120/70-ZR17
Rear tire: 180/55-ZR17
Front brakes: Dual disc
Front brakes diameter: Dual 298mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
Rear brakes: 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 354.9 lb (’06) 366 lb (’09)
Power/weight ratio: 0.7469 HP/kg
Seat height: 33.5 in
Overall height: 43.3 in
Overall length: 79.7 in
Overall width: 27.6 inches
Wheelbase: 54.3 inches
Fuel capacity: 4.6 gallons
0 to 60 mph: 3.0 sec.
0 to 1⁄4 mi: 10.67 sec. @ 210.49 km/h (130.79 mph)
Top speed: 160 mph
Fuel economy: 33.4 mpg
- All-new, light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- The YZF-R6 is the first production motorcycle with a fly-by-wire throttle system—for flawless response under all conditions.
- Straight frame concept: developed from the Yamaha M1 GP machine, the YZF-R6’s steering head, swingarm pivot and rear axle all lie in a straight line—for unsurpassed handling—with an all-new inline four-cylinder engine designed for optimal layout and mass centralization.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.
- Formula 1-style air management presents very small frontal area and excellent aerodynamics; new ram-air induction ducts cool, high-pressure air through the steering head for optimal combustion, more horsepower and enhanced engine cooling.
- 50th Anniversary Special Edition model celebrates Yamaha racing heritage with classic black and yellow livery and special badging.
New for 2016
- The Ultimate 600cc Supersport Platform
Light, powerful, and equipped with the features and technology gained from winning multiple Supersport racing championships, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- Advanced Ride-by-Wire Control
The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with YCC-T®, Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle system, for flawless response under all conditions.
- Variable Length Intake System
YCC-I®, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, is used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband.
- Racing-derived Slipper Clutch and Transmission
Back torque-limiting slipper-type clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- Legendary Racetrack Success
The Yamaha YZF-R6 has won more AMA middleweight races and championships than any other 600cc sportbike.