Yamaha YZF-R6 Commercial 2003-2005
Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Engine and Transmission
Displacement: 599.00 ccm (36.55 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power: 121.00 HP (88.3 kW)) @ 13000 RPM
Torque: 68.50 Nm (7.0 kgf-m or 50.5 ft.lbs) @ 12000 RPM
Fuel control: Fuel injection
Bore x stroke: 65.5 x 44.5 mm (2.6 x 1.8 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Cooling system: Liquid
Chassis, Suspension, Brakes and Wheels
2003-2005 Yamaha R6
Front Suspension: 43 mm telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 120 mm (4.7 in) travel
Rear Suspension: Single shock w/piggyback reservoir and adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7″ travel
Front tire: 120/60-ZR17 55W
Rear tire: 180/55-ZR17 73W
Front brakes: Dual disc
Front brakes diameter: Dual 298mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
Rear brakes: 220mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 388 lb (’03) 392 lb (’04)
Power/weight ratio: 0.7469 HP/kg
Seat height: 820 mm (32.3 in)
Overall height: 1,090 mm (42.9 in)
Overall length: 2,020 mm (79.7 in)
Overall width: 690 mm (27.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,380 mm (54.3 inches)
Fuel capacity: 17.00 liters (4.49 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 3.50 liters (0.92 gallons)
0 to 60 mph: 2.8 sec.
0 to 1⁄4 mi: 10.80 sec. @ 206.49 km/h (128.31 mph)
Top speed: 157–160 mph
Fuel economy: 38.0–38.1 mpg
If you never let the YZF-R6’s tachometer needle roam into the second half of its arc, you might never know what’s lurking there waiting to be unleashed. And… there’s even more for 2004.
An ingenious suction-piston fuel injection system (re-mapped for ’04), among other things, endows it with amazingly good road manners at low and medium engine speeds. But we had a higher calling in mind for the little beast that won the AMA Supersport Class Championship** right out of the gate as well as Cycle World, Sport Rider and Motorcycle Online 600 comparisons.*
A 15,500 rpm redline. Redesigned exhaust canister providing improved exhaust flow for 2004. This one is pure sportbike, designed from the asphalt up to achieve a delicate, sublime blend of handling and horsepower, finesse and feel, hyperactive agility and laser-beam predictability.
Absolute leading-edge technology takes tangible form in the R6’s light and rigid DeltaBox III frame – an almost seamless piece of alloy artisanship that allowed the engineers to put strength – and the revvy 4-cylinder – exactly where they belong. From there, all sorts of good things flow.
We put all our experience into this one; the harder you ride it, the more you’ll extract.
Manufacturer’s Sugg. Retail Price…$8,099 ~ $8,199* .
New for 2004:
- Remapped fuel injection for improved response throughout the powerband.
- Larger volume exhaust canister for improved exhaust flow at high rpm.
- New-design 120/60-ZR17 front and 180/55-ZR17 rear Dunlop radial tires deliver excellent grip.
- Ultra-compact, lightweight, 600cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled in-line 4-cylinder puts out over 200 horsepower-per-liter.
- Competition-bred suction-piston-type Fuel Injection, features short intake ports and a special vacuum-controlled intake system to ensure instant throttle response all the way up to the 15,500-rpm redline.
- Compact slant-block engine design uses stacked gearbox shafts to create a low center of gravity and balanced weight distribution.
- Ram Air Induction System delivers cool, high-pressure air for optimal combustion and greater horsepower at high speed.
- Lightweight forged pistons feature carburized connecting rods for superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass.
- Linerless, ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- Special 3-axis gearbox design stacks input/output shafts to keep overall engine size to super-compact dimensions.
- Curved radiator follows the contour of the frame and bodywork for an ultra-sleek look and excellent cooling performance.
- Specially designed, one-piece cylinder and crankcase assembly provides superior engine rigidity and light weight.
- Engine is a fully stressed chassis member to allow for a super-light frame design.
- Compact, large-capacity clutch ensures consistent, fade-free performance.
- Rifle-bored camshafts with specially designed valve lifters and computer-perfected timing for reduced spinning mass and quicker acceleration.
- Large-capacity internal water pump and separate liquid-cooled oil cooler ensures optimal engine cooling efficiency.
- 4-into-2-into-1 aluminum exhaust optimizes engine performance, reduces overall weight and is tucked in high for maximum lean angle.
- CDI ignition system with integrated coils delivers hard-hitting punch across the entire, 15,500-rpm rev range.
- Radical Deltabox IlI aluminum chassis is light, 50% stiffer, and extremely compact for razor-sharp handling.
- Controlled Fill die casting produces an incredibly sleek swingarm that is remarkably strong and light by pinpointing exactly where material needs to be. Pivot position and swingarm length (576mm) are optimized for great traction feel.
- Fully adjustable (preload, compression and rebound damping) 43mm telescopic front fork with 4.7″ of travel offers race-bred suspension performance with ultra-precise rider feedback.
- Fully adjustable (preload, compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock with 4.7″ of travel delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 298mm front disc brakes with one-piece 4-piston calipers and 220mm rear disc brake with dual-piston caliper provide outstanding stopping power.
- Super-light five-spoke 17 wheels reduce unsprung weight; the casting technique makes the rim section light, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- 5-way adjustable front brake lever.
- Durable, lightweight, aluminum clip-on bars provide optimal vibration damping
- Narrow 4.5-gallon fuel tank provides excellent rider ergonomics and aggressive seating position.
- Multi-function digital and analog instrumentation features: digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with odometer, upward-counting fuel reserve meter, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
- Programmable shift light.
- Dual Gatling beam 60/55-watt multi-reflector headlight features a sleek profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
- Dual LED taillight design reduces both weight and size while providing excellent visibility and a sleek profile.
- Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.