The Sena 3S Bluetooth Headset can best be described as simple but good, a tiny, light headset that weighs about the same as a few coins. Not only is it light, but it is also very easy to use with just two buttons used to control the headset. The headset is available in two versions – the 3S-B with a boom mic or the 3S-W with a Lilliputian mic.
The Sena 3S Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset
The Sena 3S Bluetooth Headset is the next generation of the Nexx SXCOM, the first self-contained motorcycle system which was a joint venture of Sena and Nexx. The headset was introduced at the 2014 AIMExpo Show in Orlando, Florida. The 3S is smaller and lighter than the SX-COM, containing a pair of speakers and a microphone. It is self-contained and uses a Bluetooth stereo headset and intercom. For a cheap motorcycle Bluetooth headset, the 3S has everything you need and nothing you don’t.
Using the Sena 3S
Early motorcycle headsets were extremely difficult to use. Some were so complicated, you needed to tape instructions to the gas tank to remember what sequence of buttons to press. They had very limited range and it was sometimes impossible to talk to passengers through the headsets. Included with the headset is a four-page “Quick Start” booklet or you can download a .pdf form of the leaflet from Sena here. The headset powers up using a quick press of the + and – buttons. Even better, these two buttons control the entire system, whether you want to change the volume, use your phone or pair a GPS or MP3.
SMH3 Sound Quality
The speakers on the Sena 3S are a little bulky, but not any worse than other types of motorcycle headsets. The sound is good and can be heard easily over the sound of the bike. The microphones are sensitive so the mouthpiece does not need to be pressed to your mouth like other systems. In fact, if the mic is too close and the volume to high, the speakers are overwhelmed. Music quality is good as well and you can distinguish bass sounds easily. For a cheap motorcycle Bluetooth headset, the sound is outstanding, however.
Should I Choose the Boom or Wired Version?
Whether to choose the boom or wired version of the 3S depends on several factors. The boom version is designed for open-face helmets due to the location of the operating buttons. The + and – buttons are located along the top end of the microphone and, although you can reach under the face shield to press them, this can be difficult. If you are also wearing thick gloves or have a large face shield, accessing the buttons on the boom mic is not easy. However, the wired version doesn’t work as well in full-face helmets, especially if there is a large chin vent. In those cases, wind noise can affect microphone performance.
Sena 3S Features
- Two-buttons on the control pad on the mic or the external mount control all features.
- Bluetooth intercom up to 200 meters (220 yards) in open terrain.
- Bluetooth pairing for mobile phones (can connect dual mobile phones).
- Voice prompts.
- Bluetooth stereo headset with A2DP.
- Bluetooth music playback control by AVRCP: play, pause, track forward and track back.
- Integrated audio booster.
- Up to 8 hours talk time, 7 days stand-by time.
- Individual volume control for each audio source.
- Firmware upgradeable.
In the Box
- Bluetooth Built-in Speaker-microphone Unit
- USB Power & Data Cable (Micro USB Type)
- Microphone Sponges
- Male Velcro Pads for Speakers
- Female Velcro Pads for Speakers
Sena 3S Specifications
- Talk time: 8 hours.
- Stand-by time: 7 days.
- Working distance (intercom): up to 200 meters (220 yards) in open terrain.
- Operating temperature: -10˚C ~ 55˚C (14°F ~ 131°F).
- Speaker: 39.9 mm x 39.9 mm x 11.3 mm ( 1.6 in x 1.6 in x 0.4 in )
- Boom microphone length: 180.0 mm ( 7.1 in )
Headset: 59 g ( 2.08 oz. )
- Profile: Headset Profile, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio Video. Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).
- Bluetooth 3.0
- Built-in SBC Codec
- Noise cancellation
- Wind noise reduction
- Wide volume control
- Sample rate: 48kHz (DAC)
- Charging time: 2.5 hours
- Type: Lithium polymer battery
As a cheap motorcycle Bluetooth headset, the Sena 3S appeals to several types of riders. It is perfect for those who want to try a Bluetooth intercom set or those who need an easy-to-use system that isn’t expensive. To learn more about the Sena 3S Motorcycle Bluetooth headset and other accessories for your bike, visit check out my YouTube channel.